Monday, November 16, 2009

Monkeys and climate change

My posts on this have been pretty sparse recently. I think I've felt like no one reads this, so I haven't bothered posting. However, the counter is at over 11,000, so obviously some people have at least come across the page! I found a disturbing statistic: Only 57% of Americans believe in climate change. I found this astonishing and pathetic. Maybe since I've been at university studying environmental science for the past 5 years, I tend to think that everyone knows what an INSANE problem climate change is. This is why I want to go into environmental policy: regulations need to be implemented as soon as possible. When I die, I want to be able to know that I've done as much as I could to make the world a better place.

Also, I stumbled across a documentary about people who keep monkeys as pets, but treat them like children. They put makeup on them, make them wear clothes, and take family portraits with them. I think this is really creepy and sad for the monkeys, because they should be with other monkeys. I'm really not an animal rights extremist or anything, but animals have such complicated emotional and physical needs that I really don't think its fair to keep them in the house like a baby human. The documentary is called "My Monkey Baby" if you can find it.
All this craziness in the world! But we can't lose hope. If anything, at least all this madness gives people like me something to be passionate about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i just happened on your blog--don't be discouraged-you're doing good work-i agree it is hard to understand how so many don't seem to get it but....keep it up!!

Anonymous said...

don't get discouraged-i, for one, appreciate what you're doing-keep up the good work and know you're doing the right thing!!

Saratoga County Community Green said...

Thanks for the encouragement Najremen! I have decided to try to be better about posting things on here, since every little bit helps, I think. :)
Also, it's nice to recieve a comment which isn't an advertisement haha.